Are you sprucing up your home for the holidays?
Last year I started a decorating tradition with my two younger daughters. Their room got a holiday bedroom makeover We went to the local craft store and bought pink cotton candy themed holiday decor on sale. (Isn’t it crazy that if you just wait a week the sales go to 60-70% off? All the while Christmas is still a couple weeks away.)
So this year we had to continue the tradition.
Isn’t this a holiday dream? When they say dreaming of sugar plum fairies, I picture this!
Easy Ideas for Holiday Decorating
1. Buy pieces for long-term use. I used to buy what I thought I loved, what was on trend or on sale. Really think to yourself, do I want to use this piece in the years to come? Not only is it my job to give you design tips, but keep you on budget too! Why waste precious money on holiday stuff you will grow weary of in one season? I have wasted waaaaay too much in years past. Now, I’d much rather save for that dreamy bathroom or kitchen reno. Pro tip: less clutter to store too.
2. Find an inspo piece, use the same process I use in my free design guide. Have you gotten that yet? Better get it now! It is the easiest step by step guide around to help you style any space!
For our inspo, we found these oversized cupcake gift boxes. Why not use them as holiday decor? Think outside the box, (no pun intended, or was it). I promise it works every.time. Dare to use non-holiday items when styling, you never know what might happen!
3. Once we got the ball rolling, we just layered and added fun pieces. We mixed Christmas and holiday-themed books, their beloved winter stuffed animals, Christmas houses and bottle brush trees I picked up at an infamous local after Christmas sales a few years ago.
4. Another pro tip is to step back once in awhile when you put on your shelf game. Sometimes the full view can give you ideas or you see holes to fill or re-shuffle the order.
This shelf probably took me 3-4 times of re-shuffling before I was happy with it. See? It’s ok to take your time with things. Practice makes progress!
5. Add plants. Of course right? LOL. Yes, adding plants literally breaths fresh air into your space. And its oh so pretty!
This Monstera is slowly making his comeback. See the burned leaves? For some reason, it was not watered enough, I’m not really sure. But the new baby green leaves on top give me hope!
I’ll have to do a post on Monsteras for ya. I absolutely adore them!
6. Add gifts in the space room, it’s so festive and will make everyone brim with excitement. I love that the girls are old enough to think of gifts for each other. They are tempted to open them, but they know Santa is watching!
I adore this view! Don’t you?
7. Think of places to put garlands that you wouldn’t think of. I added tonal interest on their headboards. Whimsy in a snap!
As I write to you, I shudder to think how high my stack of pillows will be years from now. I am simply obsessed. Pillows are the easiest way to change your home scene anywhere.
9. Next up is bedding. When I decorate for a season, I often think about the next few months. I think on a quarterly basis. January and February are winter styling months, so with these Target faux mongolian pelt throws will definitely be great additions well past December.
PS – I can throw these babies on almost anything later and make it look like I paid a million bucks for it. U NEED ONE! It’s my best design hack, seriously.
I love how our baby books are so worn. I can’t tell you how many times these books have been read to over the last 12 years. Amazing how time flies! (Let’s skip the fact that I got older too)
10. Another secret to styling a Holiday room? A warm cozy accent rug!
This one from Target’s Pillowfort line is simply too yummy to not tell you about. It is SOOOO *soft*! My girls literally roll around on it. And frankly, I want to too. I’ll just wait until they are at school. Ha!
DIY Holiday Style
And of courrrrse we have to chat about cute DIY holiday crafts amirite?
We made gingerbread houses and it was so much fun to sprinkle them throughout their room, the family room, anywhere! They add instant charm to any space, nook or cranny.
Get your glue gun, yup! That’s my secret to fast making houses. If you happen to be stuck with a kit that is unassembled OR you are the best baker in the world and make your own, glue is the best and sturdiest way to make them.
Yes, yes, I hear you saying but ANITA! I can’t eat it! Yeah, so make one for the kids and you to eat. But if you are impatient like me, use hot glue!
I hope this inspires you to decorate your own bedroom or someone special! The tips I gave today do not just have to be about girls or kids’ bedrooms! Apply to your own space and see how the Holly Jolly O-Meter in your home goes up instantly!