Do you need more mirror space in your home? I used to think mirrors just existed on sliding closet doors. Was I missing out or what?
Designing my bedroom makeover was absolutely a creative delight!
My sexy full-length mirror received by far the most Instagram comments. And I agree! It’s tall and handsome, reflecting the most beautiful light and imagery. Not me, I mean the room.
Mirror Basics 101
Mirrors an essential element of design!
1. Double your space. Yup, call it a beautiful illusion. Whenever I design a room that feels flat or confined, my mind immediately conjures up a mirror or reflective element to create the illusion of more space.
2. Reflect Light. As I mentioned before, light is an extremely powerful design tool. Awhile back, I wrote my epiphany on lighting after many years of watching HGTV. I noticed almost all the designers used spot and recessed lighting to their advantage. It sets the mood you want in any room.
3. Artful Imagery. Not only do mirrors offer light but they also instantly provide art merely by reflecting the space’s pretty furniture and decor. Can you see the edge of the bed and my nightstand? Isn’t it moody and chill? I love it.
4. Add Drama. Take a look at my living room. My wooden mirror definitely is the star of the wall. It adds texture, light and reflective interest all at the same time.
5. Bring the outdoors in. Mirrors can reflect the outdoor landscape and bring it right into your home. My floor length mirror is directly opposite of the only window in the room. Glancing at the trees and sky once in awhile makes me happy to have it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall
Mirrors not only exist in bedrooms. You can use them throughout your home with these tried and true no-fail tips. Yes, I am committed to giving you no-fail design tips! Read on, my design bestie.
Light up your Entryway
Entryways are generally dark and narrow. Mirrors provide the light and visual interest almost ways with a console table, lamp and art. I am a huge fan of vintage credenzas and buffets. Find a local flea market or browse your local Craigslist for one! I truly believe the refined yet approachable feeling a nice entryway gives is the best greeting for guests.
Image Credit: Emily Henderson via HGTV
Multiple Mirrors as a Focal Point
Another no fail and very popular way to maximize the illusion of space in a room is to use multiple mirrors of different shapes or sizes. Usually, a formal living room feels stuffy. It is often a neglected space that sits dead and stale. So adding a mirror creates movement through reflections of the other parts of the room and the people in it.
Lighting is truly magic in design (and photography). In this case, natural light can literally breath new life into an otherwise mundane space.
What a living room wall this is! Everything I have noted here today is embodied in this design. The mirrors create a dramatic effect with magical light and then makes the living room seem larger, artful and reflective.
There are some more surprises in store for you coming up but I hope today’s post inspires to think about how you can use mirrors to enlarge and highlight your space too!